Delicata Squash Rings
Based on a recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.
2-3 Delicata Squash, 12 – 16 oz ea
olive or vegetable oil
salt & pepper
herbs – optional ie parsley or thyme
I’ve often made these for end of the summer share party and they’re always VERY popular. People often ask if I put sugar on them? Of course the answer is no – who needs sugar when you have such sweet squash! It takes a little longer to flip the squash over, but they taste so good when you get that rich caramel coating glaze on both sides. Serve these as a side dish or add them as an attractive garnish to winter vegetable stews. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Total cooking time under 20 min.
- Peel the squash with a vegetable peeler – this is optional, the Delicata skin is so tender that I often leave it on.
- Slice off the ends, and scoop out the seeds. Cut the squash into rings about 1/3 inch thick.
- Spread the rings out on a well-oiled jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste. Bake until the bottoms of the rings begin to darken & caramelize, 5-10 min. Pull out the sheets and flip the squash over. Finish cooking until both sides are lightly browned, 5-10 more min.
- Remove to a serving plate and sprinkle with herbs if you want to.
- These are good served hot or at room temperature.